The role of electronic health records in creating patients' data base in the unified information system (the example of patients with chronic heart failures)
Aim was to determine the role of the electronic health record (EHR) in assessing the quality of health care service provided to patients with chronic heart failures (CHF) in the Moscow region.
Materials and methods. The author analized 683 health electronic records (HER) from medical institutions of urban districts of the Moscow region, who applied for health care services in 2021 and had heart failure code I50 as one of the diagnosis codes (complications).
Results. Comparison of the frequency of prescription of main drugs for treatment of chronic heart failure patients according to EHR with clinical guidelines revealed 32.6% of cases, in which it was not possible to judge the correctness of therapy and the quality of health care on the basis of information provided in EHR due to insufficient information. Remote one-stage evaluation of patients’ EHR is not a sufficient measure to assess the quality of medical care in CHF. Regular monitoring of EHC should be used, which will improve achievement of optimal results of treatment of patients. Problems in entering information into EHRs have been discovered. Continuous assessment of the quality of the information entered into EHR is required. Only should these conditions be met, can we count on the validity and reliability of medical databases.
Conclusion. EHR data-bases do not allow to fully assess the treatment tactics of CHF patients according to the clinical recommendations and to judge the effectiveness of patient treatment. The EHR form should be adapted to allow filling in specific fields CHF patients to enter information about patients with chronic heart failures according to clinical recommendations.
Keywords:electronic medical records; quality of health care services; chronic heart failures
Funding. The study had no sponsor support.
Conflict of interest. The author declares no conflict of interest.
For citation: Chernyavskaya T.K. The role of electronic health records in creating patients' data base in the unified information system (the example of patients with chronic heart failures). ORGZDRAV: novosti, mneniya, obuchenie. Vestnik VSHOUZ [HEALTHCARE MANAGEMENT: News, Views, Education. Bulletin of VSHOUZ]. 2022; 8 (4): 84–90. DOI: https://doi.org/10.33029/2411-8621-2022-8-4-84-90 (in Russian)
1. 2020 Clinical practice guidelines for Chronic heart failure. Rossiyskiy kardiologicheskiy zhurnal [Russian Journal of Cardiology]. 2020; 25 (11): 4083. DOI: https://doi.org/10.15829/1560-4071-2020-4083 (in Russian)
2. Starchenko A.A. Medical documentation: for the prosecutor or for the lawyer, for the patient or for the doctor? Menedzher zdravookhraneniya [Health Care Manager]. 2016; (4): 58–68. (in Russian)
3. Lindenbraten A.L. Methodological approaches to assessing the quality of medical care organization. Zdravookhraneniye [Public Health], 2015; (1): 74–9. (in Russian)
4. Butova T.G., Danilina E.P., Beloborodova Yu.S., Beloborodov A.A. Quality of medical care: methodological problems of practical assessment. Sovremennye problemy nauki i obrazovaniya [Modern Problems of Science and Education]. 2015; (5). URL: https://science-education.ru/ru/article/view?id=22401 (in Russian)
5. Kukhtichev A.A. Electronic medical card as the basis of digital medicine services of the information system «Tsifromed». Vestnik Novosibirskogo gosugarstvennogo universiteta. Seriya: Informatsioonnye tekhnologii [Bulletin of Novosibirsk State University. Series: Information Technology]. 2016; 14 (1): 61–75. (in Russian)
6. Polyakov D.S., Fomin I.V., Belenkov Yu.N., Mareev V.Yu., Ageev F.T., Artem’eva E.G., et al. Chronic heart failure in the Russian Federation: what has changed over 20 years of follow-up? Results of the EPOCH-CHF study. Kardiologia [Cardiology]. 2021; 61 (4): 4–14. DOI: https://doi.org/10.18087/cardio.2021.4.n1628 (in Russian)
7. Chuchalin A.G. Chronic obstructive pulmonary disease and concomitant diseases. Part I. COPD and lesions of the cardiovascular system. RMZh [Russian Medical Journal]. 2008; (2): 58. (in Russian)
8. Mareev V.Yu. The role of aldosterone antagonists in the treatment of cardiovascular diseases. RMZh [Russian Medical Journal]. 2020; (3): 3–6. (in Russian)
9. Drapkina O.M., Kontsevaya A.V., Ivanova E.S., Shepel’ R.N., Drozdova L.Yu., Kalashnikova M.A., et al. Methodical recommendations for heads of medical organizations of primary health care. Guidelines. Moscow: FGBU «NMITs TPM» Minzdrava Rossii, 2021: 129 p. ISBN 978-5-6046966-0-6. (in Russian)