Analysis of the effectiveness of the internal quality control system in medical organizations of the Chelyabinsk Region
The obligation to organize and implement medical activities internal quality and safety control in healthcare of applies to all medical organizations and affects the interests of a wide range of specialists. At the same time, in the scientific literature there are contradictory estimates of the effectiveness of this activity, including in the regional health segments.
Aim – to study regional features of internal control organization.
Material and methods. Among the representatives of medical organizations of the Chelyabinsk region, a sociological study was conducted to assess the processes of internal control organization and implementation, including: general and structural characteristics of medical organizations; forms of organization of internal control and involvement of various entities in these processes. During the analysis, descriptive statistics of respondents’ responses were determined, as well as a search for statistically significant relationships with the resulting parameter for assessing the effectiveness of internal control.
Results. It was determined that the overall assessment of the effectiveness of internal control in medical organizations (n=89) is influenced by their profile and age category of the attached population (p=0.002, p=0.034, respectively), as well as the presence of a surgical and obstetric hospital, emergency medical and palliative care units (p=0.030, p=0.021, p=0.007, p=0.007, respectively). The presence of an authorized internal control service in the medical organization, an approved internal control structure, as well as the involvement of experts contribute to a higher assessment of the effectiveness of this type of activity (p=0.050, p=0.033, p=0.032, p=0.017, respectively), as well as the expansion of the degree of participation of medical organization doctors as internal experts (p<0.001).
Conclusions. 1. The effectiveness of internal control in multidisciplinary and specialized medical organizations is interrelated with their structural characteristics. 2. Changes in the nature of a medical organization activities may affect sustainability in the internal control effectiveness. 3. Determination and consolidation of specific areas several medical and other employees’ responsibilities in the formal internal control system structure leads to higher efficiency of this activity.
Keywords:healthcare quality assessment; medical audits; patient safeties
Funding. The study had no sponsor support.
Conflict of interest. The authors declare no conflict of interest.
Contribution. Development of the study concept, collection and analysis of literary sources, review of the literature, collection and analysis of study materials, preparation and writing of the text of the article – Kuchin N.E.; development of the research concept, collection of research materials, editing of the article – Tyukov Yu.A.
For citation: Kuchin N.E., Tyukov Yu.A. Analysis of the effectiveness of the internal quality control system in medical organizations of the Chelyabinsk Region. ORGZDRAV: novosti, mneniya, obuchenie. Vestnik VSHOUZ [HEALTHCARE MANAGEMENT: News, Views, Education. Bulletin of VSHOUZ]. 2022; 8 (4): 73–83. DOI: https://doi.org/10.33029/2411-8621-2022-8-4-73-83 (in Russian)
1. Kharisov A.M., Berseneva E.A., Bereznikov A.V., Efimov M.D., Shkitin S.O. To the question of the organization of internal quality control of medical care in medical organizations. Byulleten’ natsional’nogo nauchno-issledovatel’skogo instituta obshchestvennogo zdorov’ya imeni N.A. Semashko [Bulletin of the National Research Institute of Public Health named after N.A. Semashko]. 2020; (2). URL: https://cyberleninka.ru/article/n/k-voprosu-ob-organizatsii-vnutrennego-kontrolya-kachestva-meditsinskoy-pomoschi-v-meditsinskih-organizatsiyah (in Russian)
2. Chubirko M.I., Chubirko Yu.M., Antonenkov Yu.E. Internal quality control of medical care in scientific publications and regulatory legal acts of the Russian Federation (review). Saratovskiy nauchno-meditsinskiy zhurnal [Saratov Journal of Medical Scientific Research]. 2019; 4 (15): 925–30. (in Russian)
3. Mustafina-Bredikhina D.M. Organization of internal quality control and safety of medical activity: new rules. Neonatologiya: novosti, mneniya, obuchenie [Neonatology: News, Opinions, Training]. 2020; 1 (27). URL: https://cyberleninka.ru/article/n/organizatsiya-vnutrennego-kontrolya-kachestva-i-bezopasnosti-meditsinskoy-deyatelnosti-novye-pravila (in Russian)
4. On approval of the Requirements for the organization and conduct of internal quality control and safety of medical activities. Order of the Ministry of Health of Russia dated July 31, 2020 No. 785n. URL: http://www.consultant.ru/document/cons_doc_LAW_363867/ (in Russian)
5. Vorob’ev P.A. Quality of medical care: problems of assessment, control and management // Problemy standartizatsii v zdravookhranenii [Problems of Standardization in Health Care]. 2007; (10). URL: https://cyberleninka.ru/article/n/kachestvo-meditsinskoy-pomoschi-problemy-otsenki-kontrolya-i-upravleniya (in Russian)
6. Ulumbekova G.E. Management of the quality of medical care in the Russian Federation: from planning to improvement, part I. Planning the quality of medical care in the Russian Federation: analysis of the current regulatory framework and indicators of the quality of medical care. ORGZDRAV: novosti, mneniya, obuchenie. Vestnik VShOUZ [ORGZDRAV: News, Opinions, Training. Bulletin of VShOUZ]. 2016; 2 (4). URL: https://cyberleninka.ru/article/n/upravlenie-kachestvom-meditsinskoy-pomoschi-v-rf-ot-planirovaniya-do-uluchsheniya-chast-i-planirovanie-kachestva-meditsinskoy-pomoschi-v (in Russian)
7. Gaifullin R.F., Yagudin R.Kh., Rybkin L.I. Modernization of internal quality control of medical care in the system of operational management of a large diversified organization. Prakticheskaya meditsina [Practical Medicine]. 2013: 1-2 (69). URL: https://cyberleninka.ru/article/n/modernizatsiya-vnutrennego-kontrolya-kachestva-okazaniya-meditsinskoy-pomoschi-v-sisteme-operativnogo-upravleniya-krupnoy (in Russian)
8. Esipov A.V., Abushinov V.V. Problems of the organization of internal quality control and safety of medical activity in a medical organization. Gospital’naya meditsina: nauka i praktika [Hospital Medicine: Science and Practice]. 2018; 1 (1): 3–12. (in Russian)
9. Seregina I.F., Borova S.V., Ivanov I.V. The state of organization and conduct of internal quality control and safety of medical activity in the constituent entities of the Russian Federation. Vestnik Roszravnadzora [Bulletin of Roszravnadzor]. 2015; (6): 34–7. (in Russian)
10. Kuchin N.E., Tyukov Yu.A. Analytical assessment of the development of the system of internal quality control and places in the management of a medical organization. Sovremennye problemy zdravookhraneniya i meditsinskoy statistiki [Modern Problems of Healthcare and Medical Statistics]. 2021; (2). URL: https://cyberleninka.ru/article/n/analiticheskaya-otsenka-razvitiya-sistemy-vnutrennego-kontrolya-kachestva-i-mesto-v-upravlenii-meditsinskoy-organizatsiey (in Russian)