Public-private partnership: guarantees, benefits, risks
This article touches upon a number of issues on the created and unresolved Legal mechanisms and the conditions for their implementation when attracting investments in the economy of the Russian Federation, within the framework of a public-private partnership (РРР), which contribute to improving the quality of goods, works, services provided to consumers in the medical services market.
The implementation of concession agreements directly affects the achievement of national development goals defined by the May and June decrees of the President of Russia, the goals of the national Healthcare project and its constituent federal projects.
The authors have created the preconditions for a possible partnership between the public and private health sectors in the field of health care in the implementation and use of the most effective ways of the unique resources of the private sector to strengthen the capacity and sustainability of the health care system.
Potential risks hindering mutually beneficial relations between public and private PPP partners: lack of return on investment and a long payback period for the project's investments, scanty volumes of medical care for compulsory health insurance brought to a medical organization, an increase in operating costs at the stages of project implementation, bankruptcy of a private partner, an increase in the cost of services , the lack of control over the facility being created or reconstructed, or the non-recoupment of the compulsory medical insurance tariff to cover the costs incurred.
Taking into account the formed legal environment, the solution of these issues should be accompanied by the prompt introduction of the necessary changes to the legislation.
Keywords:public-private partnership (РРР); potential risks; public and private partners of the РРР; implementation mechanism; concession agreement
Funding. The study had no sponsor support.
Conflict of interest. The authors declare no conflict of interest.
For citation: Akhokhova A.V., Tkhabisimova I.K., Dudarova I.Kh., Airapetian A.A., Gaboeva Z.R. Public-private partnership: guarantees, benefits, risks. ORGZDRAV: novosti, mneniya, obuchenie. Vestnik VSHOUZ [HEALTHCARE MANAGEMENT: News, Views, Education. Bulletin of VSHOUZ]. 2023; 9 (1): 57-65. DOI: https://doi.org/10.33029/2411-8621-2023-9-1-57-65 (in Russian)
1. Joint initiatives. SPIEF 2021 experts discussed the prospects for PPP in healthcare]. URL: URL: https://www.kommersant.ru/doc/4847945 (in Russian)
2. Bednyakov A.S. Public-private partnership as a model for the development of public infrastructure. Vestnik MGIMO-Uni-versiteta [Bulletin of MGIMO University]. 2022; 15 (1): 143-73. DOI: https://doi.org/10.24833/2071-8160-2022-1-82-143-173 (дата обращения: 10.03.2022). URL: https://roscongress.org/ma-terials/gosudarstvenno-chastnoe-partnerstvo-kak-model-razvitiya-publichnoy-infrastruktury/ (in Russian)
3. Schneider H., et al. The governance of local health systems in the era of Sustainable Development Goals: Reflections on collaborative action to address complex health needs in four country contexts. BMJ Glob Health. 2019; 4: e001645. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1136/bmjgh-2019-001645
4. Kosycarz E.A., Nowakowska B.A., Mikotajczyk M.M. Evaluating opportunities for successful public-private partnership in the healthcare sector in Poland. J Public Health (Berl). 2019; 27: 1-9. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1007/s10389-018-0920-x
5. Kaneva M.A. Public-private partnership in health care and directions of its development in the Novosibirsk region. Regional’naya ekonomika: teoriya i praktika [Regional Economy: Theory and Practice]. 2016; (1): 169-81. (in Russian)
6. Bouti K., Borki R. Public-private partnerships in health. Int J Med Surg. 2015; 2 (1): 1-2. DOI: https://doi.org/10.15342/ijms.v2i1.66
7. Kostyunina G.M., Liventsev N.N. International practice of foreign investment regulation: Textbook. In: MGIMO (U) Ministry of Foreign Affairs of the Russian Federation. Moscow: Ankil, 2001: 126 p. (Second degree). ISBN 5-86476-166-4. (in Russian)
8. SizovaYu.S., MalinovskayaM.I. Public-Private Partnership Projects as a Form of Entrepreneurship Support. Sovremennaya konkuren-tsiya [Modern Competition]. 2020; 14: [2 (78)]: 36-47. URL: https://cyberleninka.ru/proekty-gosudarstvenno-chastnogo-partnerstva-kak-forma-podderzhki-predprinimatelstva (in Russian)
9. Gladkov K.V. Public-private partnership as a source of competencies of a private partner in healthcare. Sovremennye problemy nauki i obrazovaniya [Modern Problems of Science and Education] 2016; (2). URL: https://science-education.ru/ru/article/view?id=24359 (date of access April 18. 2016). (in Russian)
10. Recommendations for the implementation of public-private partnership projects. Best practices. Ministry of Economic Development of Russia. 2018. URL: https://www.economy.gov.ru/material/file/cd482f73c03b658fa97a2d844c7e39d9/metodic2018.pdf (date of access December 09, 2022). (in Russian)
11. Decree of the Government of the Russian Federation of December 28, 2021 No. 2505 «On the Program of State Guarantees of Free Provision of Medical Care to Citizens for 2022 and for the Planning Period of 2023 and 2024». URL: https://base.garant.ru/403335795/ (date of access December 09, 2022). (in Russian)
12. Federal Law of July 13, 2015 No. 224-FZ «On Public-Private Partnership, Municipal-Private Partnership in the Russian Federation and Amendments to Certain Legislative Acts of the Russian Federation». URL: http://www.consultant.ru/document/cons_doc_LAW_182660/ (date of access December 09, 2022). (in Russian)
13. Federal Law of November 19, 2010 No. 326-FZ «On Compulsory Medical Insurance in the Russian Federation». URL: http:// www.consultant.ru/document/cons_daughter_LAV_107289/ (date of access December 09, 2022). (in Russian)
14. Order of the Ministry of Health of Russia dated February 27, 2016 No. 132n «On the Requirements for the Placement of Medical Organizations of the State Health System and the Municipal Health System Based on the Needs of the Population». URL: https://www.garant.ru/products/ipo/prime/doc/71260614/ (date of access December 09, 2022). (in Russian)
15. The Ministry of Health will improve the legal framework for federal PPP projects. URL: https://vademec.ru/article/minz-drav_usovershenstvuet_pravovuyu_bazu_dlya_federalnykh_gchp-proektov/ (date of access December 09, 2022). (in Russian)
16. Why is PPP in Russian regions inferior to government contracts? URL: https://pppcenter.ru/press-tsentr/smi/pochemu-gchp-v-regionakh-rossii-proigryvaet-goskontraktam (date of access October 21, 2019 (in Russian)
17. The Ministry of Health will be able to establish the procedure for medical activities on the principles of PPP. URL: https://vademec.ru/news/2022/12/05/minzdrav-smozhet-ustanavlivat-poryadok-meddeyatelnosti-na-printsipakh-gchp/ (date of access December 09, 2022). (in Russian)
18. Ministry of Health of the Russian Federation has created a Center for the Development of PPP in Healthcare. URL: https://vademec.ru/news/2019/02/01/minzdrav-rf-sozdal-federalnyy-infor-matsionno-analiticheskiy-tsentr-razvitiya-gosudarstvenno-chastnog/ (date of access December 09, 2022). (in Russian)
19. The Ministry of Health disbanded the department of public-private partnership. URL: https://www.vademec.ru/news/2021/09/29/minzdrav-rasformiroval-departament-gosudarstvenno-chast-nogo-partnerstva/ (date of access October 10, 2019). (in Russian)
20. Coordinating Council for Public-Private Partnership of the Ministry of Health of Russia chaired by the Minister of Health of the Russian Federation Mikhail Murashko. URL: https://minzdrav.gov.ru/press/2022/11/22/ (date of access December 09, 2022). (in Russian)
21. PPP projects exceeded expectations. URL: https://pppcenter.ru/press-tsentr/smi/gchp-proekty-prevzoshli-ozhidaniya (date of access December 27, 2022). (in Russian)
22. Federal Law No. 604-FZ of December 29, 2022 «On Amendments to Certain Legislative Acts of the Russian Federation». URL: URL: http://ivo.garant.ru/#/document/406052735/paragraph/1:0 (in Russian)
23. Decree of the Government of the KBR of December 29, 2022 No. 293-PP «On the program of state guarantees of free provision of medical care to citizens in the Kabardino-Balkarian Republic for 2023 and for the planning period of 2024 and 2025». URL: https://tfomskbr.ru/news/utverzhdena-programma-gosudarst-vennyh-garantij--besplatnogo-okazaniya-grazhdanam-medicinskoj-pomoshi (in Russian)
24. The results of monitoring the conclusion and implementation of the concluded concession agreements, including with regard to compliance by the parties to the concession agreement with their obligations to achieve the targets contained in the concession agreement, the timing of their implementation, the volume of investments attracted and other material conditions of the concession agreement, for 2021. URL: https://www.economy.gov.ru/material/file/d6cca1ea871c4e6952d9de74e3480f0a/rezultaty_monitoringa_za_2021_115-fz (in Russian)
25. Economic Commission for Europe Committee on Environmental Policy. ECE/CEP/AC.13/2022/1. Distr.: General 3 March 2022. URL: https://unece.org/sites/default/files/2022-04/ece_cep_ac.13_2022_1 (in Russian)
26. Rastrigina O.V. Development of public-private partnership in the medical services market: World and Russian practice. Vestnik Evraziyskoy nauki [Bulletin of Eurasian Science]. 2020; (3). URL: https://esj.today/PDF/74ECVN320 (in Russian)
27. Ishutin S.V. Assessment of the participation of the public-private partnership project of JSC «EMC» in Moscow healthcare for the provision of radiotherapy services. Kardiovaskulyarnaya terapiya i profilak-tika [Cardiovascular Therapy and Prevention]. 2022; 21 (2S): 3-190. DOI: https://doi.org/10.15829/1728-8800-2022-S2 (in Russian)
28. Piskunov S.V., Chevtaeva N.G. Public-private partnership in healthcare management. Voprosy upravleniya [Management Issues]. 2015; 3 (34): 38-48. URL: https://cyberleninka.ru/article/n/gos-udarstvenno-chastnoe-partnerstvo-v-upravlenii-zdravoohraneniem (in Russian)
29. Safarov S.M. Fundamentals of social entrepreneurship. Ivanovo: Roshcha, 2014: 295 p. ISBN 978-5-990429-75-8. URL: https://www.admsayansk.ru/pub/files/QA/5669/Osnovy_sotsialnogo_predprinimatelstva (in Russian)
30. Kaygorodtsev A.A. Public-private partnership as an economic mechanism of innovative entrepreneurship. Fundamental’nye issledovaniya [Fundamental Researches]. 2017: 10 (pt 2). URL: https://s.fundamental-research.ru/pdf/2017/2017_10_2 (in Russian)